Tuesday 9 June 2020

Do advertisements on social media control us?


We see advertisements on a daily basis, especially on social media. When we’re scrolling through Instagram, during YouTube videos and even on your favourite celebrities social media accounts. Yes they are annoying but are they effective?

Personalized advertisements. Are they creepy or useful?

When you see an advertisement on your screen it is highly likely that it was personalised. This means that Google and other big corporations take your data and tailor ads that they think you will enjoy. I sent out a survey to students at my school to see how the majority of people feel about this and 57% said that they felt that it was weird, creepy and invasive. I completely agree with that 57% because big corporations have my data which I haven't consented to sharing. 

What social media platforms use the least amount of advertisements?

In the survey, I also asked what social media platform people received the most advertisements on. These were my results. (Keep in mind that on some social media platforms you can pay, or subscribe to a premium version to not receive advertisements).

53% of people said that they received the most advertisements on Instagram, Which I found interesting because Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms.


Do these advertisements work?

In the survey, I also asked how often they actually click on advertisements. These were my results.

0 people said always
0 people said often
5 people said sometimes
38 people said rarely
29 people said never

Although it is clear that not many people actually click on these ads very often, they still might be making a big difference.  Almost half the world’s population uses social media and according to the survey that I sent to my school, most people are 11-13 when they create a social media account. This means that they are still getting a lot of buyers even though it doesn't seem like they do. 

Thank you for reading my blog post ☺



No comments:

Post a Comment