Friday 5 June 2020

Coping with Cyber-Bullying




59 Bullying Poems | Poems about Bullying | Poems for Bullies

                                                        
 
 If you receive hate online, remember that you are not alone. I surveyed and found out what teenage girls do when they have been cyber bullied. 39% of students on the survey have been cyber bullied. wasn't expecting a number this big! 
Bullies feel the need to bring you down with them as they are often insecure.  
  
Hopefully my blog post can help anyone who is unsure about how to cope. I feel it's important to know about this topic because it is such a relevant topic for our generation. We are very involved in the online world. I think Blocking a bully is a good place to start. 

Ways students deal with cyber bullying:  
 I would suggest that you talk to someone about what you are going through. You never know, maybe they have been cyber bullied or have some good advice. Unfortunately, it is common. 
 
 

I asked students how they deal with cyber bullying and here is what they said...  
  
  • Some are my friends, so I know the best thing is to tell someone and try not to fight back. What's the point anyway, they are only giving u hate because they need someone to blame. 
  • Tell an adult or parent or a guardian 
  • Ignore it 
  • Tell others about it and get help  
  • I try to stay out of the drama, and don't give people a reason to be nasty to me. Because at this age people don't be mean unless you have done something to them 
  • Suck it in as no one really listens to me otherwise I tell someone at school   
  • Intervene if my friends are being bullied/are bullying someone unintentionally, but otherwise I'm unaware of bullying online. 
  • I have never got any type of hate or been bullied in any kind of form, but I feel the best way to deal with cyber bullying is to talk to someone about it and sort it out with ease. 
  • Block 
  • I deleted my account 
  •  Deleting that form of social media and blocking people. 
  
Have you received hate online? 
Yes= 39%  
No = 61%   
TOTAL=100% 
  
If so what platform did you receive that hate on?  
Instagram=27.47% 
TikTok= 4.40% 
FaceBook= 
None=56.04% 
Other=6.59% 

 
 
Is anything done to prevent cyber bullying? 
At the start of this research project I assumed that more was done to control cyber bullying. I was surprised at how little social media businesses do about it. It is also up to us to prevent cyber bullying. We are so vulnerable online. Doing this research has made me realize how important it is to be safe. At the beginning of my project I wanted to know how social networks control cyber bullying. From the small amount of info I got on this, I found out that not much is done. We are putting ourselves out into the media for people to judge. People will form opinions on us. Some people share their opinions and a lot of them are negative. This is a reminder to be aware of our online surroundings. To sum it up, not much is done about cyber bullying.  
 
 
  
Tips on coping with cyber bullying: 
1. Block them 
2. Do not respond with something nasty back 
3. Do not take this comment to heart. Know your worth, be the bigger person and do not let it change you 
4. Take a break from social media 
5.  Talk to someone you trust. Sometimes talking things out can really help :) 
6. Understand that everyone has different opinions. Try to figure out if it is hate, or someones opinion you do not agree with 
  
If you tend say hateful things online, then here's a tip for you... 

This is called the 30 second rule. The rule is before you comment on someone's post or text, think about how you would feel if you received this message. Would it effect you?
 Social media is a very scary place. 
It can be very entertaining and fun, however, it will always have cyberbullies. We can prevent this online problem if we stick up for people who are bullied and create some awareness about cyber bullying. 

If you are dealing with online bullying and you need some help, I would suggest checking out https://www.netsafe.org.nz/bullying-abuse-support/. 
Reach out for help.  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  


  
  
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment