Tuesday 9 June 2020

Did Social Media get you off your Bum?!

Lockdown was a time where many people could've sat and done nothing but to my surprise that wasn’t quite the case and I think social media influenced that turn out.  



I surveyed 75 people and the results show that social media influenced peoples fitness quite a lot. Someone said, “There were fun activities on Instagram and Tik Tok so I did them.” Others said they were interested to try different workoutsI found out when people were using social media such as Instagram and Tik Tok people said they were majorly inspired by influencers and other teens across the globe to get out of bed. It became a big concern to teens especially that they would come out of lockdown “3 times bigger” as one studenstated 


On the other hand had some responses giving the impression that they got sick of social media very quickly during the time of isolation and wanted to get as far away as possible from it. 

The results show 37 students' fitness increased due to social media influence, 1students' fitness levels decreased, however, 23 stayed the same as before lockdown. This shows that everyone reacted to lockdown workouts and social media differently, but In fact Tik Tok and Instagram did have effects on student activity levels in a positive way. 

To be fair I and many other students agree that social media, especially Instagram, can set unrealistic expectations for teens worldwidePeople can open Instagram and it is crammed full of Instagram models with the ideal “perfect”  Instagram body that everybody wants. In a way this has boosted motivation for people to  workout. More and more teens are following their favourite influencers workouts and buying products that claim to “shred kilos” or “banish calories” which in my opinion sets unrealistic achievements for young girls. 

Personally, Tik Tok and Instagram really inspired me over the time of lockdownI often used Tik Tok workouts as motivation because it allowed me to switch up my exercise routine and Instagram on the other hand helped me take part in challenges which led to me running 5k. 

Overall I think Tik TokInstagram and many other social media inspired me as well as many of my peers into getting some fitness in. 




by Bailee x

No comments:

Post a Comment