Friday 5 June 2020

Age Restrictions Should be Enforced

When I was younger I would try and look good in photos with Snapchat filters. I would think they were good and then post them on Instagram. I had more than one account because I would always forget my passwords.  

Now that I'm older I look back and realise how terrible they were/are. Even some stuff I posted when I was the right age to have social media I would look back on and cringe.  

Most social media app age restrictions are set at 13+, but approximately 18 percent of 8 to 11 year old children already have their own social media profile of some sort. 

After asking 100 teenage girls a couple questions about social media and age restrictions I figured I wasn’t alone, and it wasn't just me that posted embarrassing things when I was younger. I asked 'Have you ever regretted posting something when you were younger?' Some answers were...  

"I once made an Instagram for my cat that I never deleted and it's still out there haunting me."  

"Not comfortable telling."  

"I used to re-post really angst depressed stuff. I cringe looking back at them." 

From my personal experience I think age restrictions are good but they don't really work and not everybody obeys them.  

It's clear that age restrictions are put in place to keep children safe because their brains aren't developed enough to know what to do in some situations.  I wasn't ready to be responsible for my own social media account at such a young age and I feel that others aren't too and that age restrictions should be more enforced. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment